Thursday, August 31, 2006

My mothers family was connected in a peripheral way to the presidency. She was quite proud of growing up in the town of Marion, Ohio where President Harding lived. But wait there's more. Mother's uncle Henry "Petey" DeWolfe was married to Florence Kling and fathered a child by her. Florence left Uncle "Petey" and married Warren Harding. So that made mother's cousin the stepchild of the President of the United States.

When Carl Anthony wrote a book about Florence I had to have it. When he referred to the DeWolfe family as a distinguished Huguenot family I copied all 13 indexed references to send my cousins. "Our family lives in history!" I crowed. And then I heard a raucous snort. "A black sheep alcoholic is our family claim to greatness?" mocked Q.
"His picture is IN THE BOOK" I pleaded. More gagging snort sounds.

So she will not get my annotated copy of the book NOR my mother's newspaper clippings of the Harding years NOR
the documentation that might have put her royal hiney in the D.A.R. Sniff.

1 Comments:

At 12:48 PM , Blogger the queen said...

Now THERE you go. Rebecca, that has to be the single coolest thing I have ever heard anyone say. Not the Nixon connection, but the suggestion that of course you are a Plantagenent, but really only due to the Royalty Per Capita ratio eight hundred years ago. (No doubt offset by a casual shrug.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home