Saturday, August 19, 2006

There was a time when mothers sang to their children. Mine sang "The Baggage Car Ahead" about some woman in a casket on a death ride home. Others were "Poor Little Joe"...No mother to guide him in her grave she laid low.... and the "Poor Babes in the Woods" who died and were covered by leaves dropped down by birds. When she had us sobbing she would sail into "La Marseilles" bellowing full throttle in all that remained of her high school French.

She nursed us, crocheted, smoked and sang all at the same time. I have moles in the same places she did but the resemblance ends there. I blame the change in today's children to mothers not singing to them more.

3 Comments:

At 6:36 PM , Blogger the queen said...

Yes, we have no bananas.

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger ~~Silk said...

Hello Your Royal Highness. Thanks for visiting my blog (how on earth did you find it?) You show up as Chicago in my sitemeter, so I was surprised to find you actually in Florissant. I lived on Clayton Road in Ballwin in the early 70's, while working as an IBM rep to Monsanto. My daughter was born at St. Luke's in Winchester. One of these days I want to get back to visit.

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger Queen_Mum said...

Silk: I found your site when I looked for references to polio which I had. Your comments gave me much to think about and were, for the most part, on target.
But I also think when a man's not into you... he's just not into you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home