Monday, September 04, 2006

I led a sheltered childhood and was further sheltered as a wife/mom. When I started working as a social worker I couldn't believe people would pay me to come to an office each day. Initially I visited the county indigent in nursing homes. I investigated to be sure they were eligible for the $150 the county contributed toward their expenses. The state paid a little something but the homes seldom received more than $200 for their care.

The nursing homes had sucked up any nest egg they had. By the time I came by the old people were tied to a commode chair if they were incontinent or settled in iron beds with the bars up. There was no air conditioning and flies were everywhere. If complaints were made to the state, an advance appointment was agreed on and everything was deodorized and spruced up for the "inspection".

There was no place for these poor souls to go. The doctor who was overseeing their care was a part owner. Our state social work director resigned to become one of the nursing home directors. Newspaper articles were written and after ten years of documented abuse one of the worse homes was closed down.

I did a couple things back then I think earned my pay. A man got a sizable lump sum check from Social Security which the N.H. signed for him. When they wouldn't credit him with the money I notified the FBI and they did. I was given one day to move him and found a boarding house for him to live at. There was a developmentally disabled young woman who was being made to care for adult age deformed folks without pay. After a couple moves she got in a group home with good supervision and fun.

But other than these couple things I supported a system that still is in place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home