Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Friday Breakfast With Social Workers was re-named last month. I now call them The Gang of Five. I include myself because I'm one of them but my voice is small.

Sue and Penny were the only regulars as Pat and Carol were out and about elsewhere. Penny took me to the outpatient clinic where I tried out the special wheelchair device that helps frail arms move food from plate to mouth. It's called a deltoid aide. They also had me try using a spoon that was bent and re-shaped and actually seemed usable.

The request for the feeding arm had to be sent to Medicare where it would be denied and then resubmitted to my secondary insurance where verbal assurance was made that it would pay the $450 price IF it was ordered through one of two specific providers.

At some point my electric went off and Penny drove across town and put all my gear in her car. She drove me to where Sue was finishing up her shift as volunteer/employee and moved me to Sue's car. In the meantime my electric came back on and Sue's went off so the Keystone Kops returned to my house and Sue spent the next four days waiting on me hand and foot.

The Queen was trying to take a relaxing cruise during all this and was ready to add me to the BNL fan picture if Social Work failed me.

At some point they decided I needed more services so they got me hooked up with a nurse, occupational therapist and personal care attendant who came to my home. These people have worn me out with their phone calls, home visits and suggestions. Being "discovered" and assited after being disabled for 57 years was puzzling. But on the other hand It got me through January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home