Friday, September 22, 2006

I always thought the two easiest things in the world were to get married and to get pregnant. The two hardest things were to stay married and prevent pregnancy.

In high school only a couple boys asked me out and I was appalled at the prospect. My mother had made it clear that I was not marriage material as I was too frail for housework and I would be unable to conceive or carry a child. It made perfect sense to me. In college a fellow named Lou asked me out and was such fun and such a gentleman my mother agreed it was okay to date but marriage was still not in my future.

When Lou started getting serious and talking about our future together I stopped seeing him. I loooved kissing him but his priest kept getting in the way of that. My mother was always watching out the window and If it didn't bother her why would a priest care?

Lou loved to debate ideas and later went on to teach Philosophy. But to me it was too much like arguing. So I was ready to move on. Once I learned how to kiss it was a dating extravaganza for the next two years. When someone seemed serious I just moved on. My mom had explained good girls didn't do "it" and if I did I would die of pregnancy. I felt so lucky anyone would want to go out with me that just dating was enough.

Finally Black Cloud found me and faced down my mother's wrath and my father's concern, "That boy doesn't look you in the eye Baby." I explained all the negatives about marrying me but he was determined. And really, really cute. I thought well, maybe sex would be as fun as kissing. So we got married and moved far away from my friends and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home