Thursday, November 02, 2006

The dogwood tree in back lost its red leaves last night. There are still yellow leaves on the sweet gum and sassafras. Japanese Maple has a lacy maroon foliage. I used to love mowing the back yard and making piles of mulched leaves that by spring became rich composted soil.

Since I've stopped mowing I pay men to bag the leaves and haul them away. Their eyes cross when I try to discuss composting. They know how to run machines and make noise. They want to plant grass and fertilize. I am considered strange in that I don't want a putting green lawn.

I don't miss cooking much but I do wish I could work out in the yard more. I spent ten good years making a natural garden. It still looks pretty from the window but guys are at work undoing my vision. And I have to pay them for it.

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM , Blogger Becs said...

Oh, dear Queen_Mum. Would that I were within easy driving distance. I'd let you work my like a navvy, then you could tell me how to plant my garden, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home