Sunday, November 26, 2006

Disabled Awareness Day. I have shoulder high hooks on the backs of doors and place garments backwards on the hooks. Then I back into the hook and slip my right arm in the sleeve. I shrug my shoulder and get the garment partially on myself and off the hook. Next I go to a tall dresser and use that to prop my arms against and tug the left side on. The hard part is fastening buttons or snaps.

This year the difficult part has been positioning the garment on the hook. They have become too heavy. Or to put it correctly my arms can't lift squat. So I stay in my polyester caftan until i can devise a better dressing solution. The only time I really need to be dressed is when I get my hair done.

I've found shoes that zip and are lined with sheepskin. So I wear them without socks. The car warms up quickly for my mile trip and the shop owner helps me on with my coat when I leave. Usually that is a heavy sleeveless vest so my arms aren't weighted down for driving.

Another issue in my decline has been toothbrushing. For this I developed the Extendo-Arm (patent pending). It is a plunger inverted on a base. The concept was I would wedge my right elbow in the rubber plunger piece and my hand would be in the vicinity of my face. This has worked better than you would have imagined. Some day you will see it featured in a handicapped supply catalogue for $100. You saw it here first.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Blogger ~~Silk said...

I use Bloglines.com to follow blogs, and hadn't had any alerts from you for more than a week. Today there were seven! For the past seven posts. Good. Welcome back. (And I got the message re age....)

I'd been thinking about dressing difficulty ever since you mentioned the magnetic "buttons". I love those cotton Moroccan caftans - the ones that are just two squares, front and back, with a slit or V neck. Some are very dressy, and they're easy to slip into for a trip to the deli. Very roomy, so you don't have to raise arms. Only trouble is that you have to wear a cape with them if it's cold. A coat or vest with sleeves or sleeve holes won't work, since the caftans don't have "sleeves".

Here's to batteries!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home