Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My initial use of the gifted electric chair was disquieting. I sat back and pressed the button. Slowly it eased me back, little by little, until I was resting horizontally. "Hmmn," I thought. "I can see how people fall asleep in these things. Comfy!" And then the phone rang. By the time I powered down and came in for a landing the answering machine had had a meaningful conversation with the caller.

Back into it I went and tried to find a midway position when it dawned on me. I was a chair prisoner! Without the remote I could not get out of that chair! This scared me. I imagined myself high and dry in that chair spread-eagled for a week until Q found me. So I had to set up a little nest beside the chair for a phone, the tv remote, water, snacks and Kleenex. (Survivor Man would have added flint and firewood.)

I was still nervous about the power failing and spending 9 days in an electric chair. I studied the ways I could crawl out of that chair if the remote failed. Impossible. Too deep. I decided to use the chair in the upright position and let able bodied guests risk imprisonment. The next day I read the brochure and saw there was battery backup so that the chair could always be lowered in case of power failure.

Guess all those years testing at Sing Sing somebody worked out the kinks for us retired seniors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home