Monday, December 04, 2006

Returned Sunday from another exile to the castle due to power outage.

It began Thursday with flickering lights so I went to bed. At 11:00 pm all systems were down so I unhooked my ventilator and phoned the power company. I use a "special number" they gave me and someone picked up right away. She said 100,000 people were without power and it would be off for a day.

She suggested I go someplace else, call my doctor and stay warm. So I went back to bed and stayed there until daylight. I decided to just stay put but my friend Sue got involved and blabbed to Ellen and before I knew it had dressed me, packed me up and whisked me across the river where sensible people put their wiring in the ground.

Q was working from home and Gary was fighting snow and ice accumulation in the driveway. Q was beginning a dandy cold and graciously allowed me to force saline nose drops on her and make unhelpful suggestions. She actually wore a pair of slippers at one point in an apparent acknowledgment that she was sick. Unprecedented!

The next day she went to my house and unloaded both freezers and transferred it to her empty freezers. Then she shopped for a stranded friend and baked a cake for the friends party. While she was at the party Gary cooked maple syrup sausage links and thawed Marks homegrown sweet potatoes from my freezer. We dined at 7 pm and he did all the serving and cleaning up.

Q coughed all night. By morning she was voiceless and sick. Gary packed me and all my food up and hauled me home. Their annual tea is in six days. I don't think he can pull it off alone but whatever. He has proven once again that he ranks right up there as my favorite son-in-law.

5 Comments:

At 4:49 PM , Blogger Becs said...

Last night, I dreamed I met Gary. I swear. I have never met him, but there he was in my dream, plastic party glass of something in hand.

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger Queen_Mum said...

Dr.Pepper would be his drink of choice. When I first met him he never took his gaze from mine. He listened intently to my observations and had a lot to say in return. The topic was cockroaches.

He can also be equally knowledgeable about termites and Unix. Once when he loaned me a Tom Clancy book to read that was too heavy for me to hold he ripped it in half to make it lighter.

A man of high morals and values. Outside dreams.

 
At 5:03 AM , Blogger Becs said...

I can only adore the Prince Consort from afar. If Q gets above herself (and I'm sure that never happens), remind her that there are women out there who adore PC from afar and have enormous respect for geeks who drink Dr. P.

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger the queen said...

Hey! I'm sick! I'm sick and I must watch the vaultures circling over my husband! Ourage!

 
At 7:07 PM , Blogger the queen said...

And?And? Ican;'t type vultures! I am sick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home